French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock. French onion soup can be a little fussy, time-consuming, and tear-inducing, but if you've got a few hours on a rainy Saturday, there are few better ways to spend it than in the pursuit of this classic. You can cook French Onion Soup using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need of The Stock.
- Prepare 4 lb of lbs. cracked beef bones/soup bones w/o meat.
- It’s 2 of onions, halved.
- You need 2 of scrubbed quartered carrots.
- You need 2 of celery stalks.
- Prepare of bouquet garni:0.25 tsp. thyme, 1 bay leaf, 6 parsley sprigs, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, 2 whole cloves.
- Prepare 10 cups of water.
- Prepare of For the Onions and Soup.
- It’s 1 1/2 lbs of or about 5 cups of thinly sliced yellow onion.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Tbs butter+1 Tbs Oil.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 of ⁄4 tsp sugar (helps the onions to brown).
- It’s 3 Tbsp of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare of The strained Stock.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of tbs Cognac, brings the flavors together.
- You need 4 of rounds of hard-toasted french bread.
- You need of Grated good Swiss Cheese to cover.
- It’s of Cook and assemble.
Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. French onion soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. For years, I haven't been able to find a good vegetarian version of it, because it's traditionally made with beef broth.
French Onion Soup instructions
- Heat oven to 450F. Arrange the meat, bones, onions, and carrots in a cast iron pan. Place in the middle portion of the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until nicely browned..
- Remove from the oven and drain fat out of roasting pan. Transfer into an 8 or 10 quart soup kettle. Pour a cup or two of the water to the pan, set over heat (or back in the still hot oven). Scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom. Pour all that into the kettle..
- Tie the Bousquet garni in a coffee filter or cheese cloth..
- Cover ingredients with 10 cups water. Bring to a simmer, skim and add the salt, celery and bouquet garni. Simmer the stock for 4 to 5 hours. Strain the stock out of the kettle into a bowl..
- ONIONS, COOKING AND FINAL ASSEMBLY.
- Melt butter, add oil to a large pot. Add sugar and onions, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes..
- Raise heat and cook, stirring often on medium until golden, around 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook for a minute and add stock and wine. Partially cover and simmer gently for one hour..
- Add Cognac, ladle into oven proof soup bowls, add bread slice and cover with cheese..
- Bake at 400 degrees until lightly brown..
Making truly authentic French Onion Soup is easier than you think! This wonderful, simple and flavorful soup is the perfect warm dish for winter! French onion soup is a hearty dish made with the comforting flavors of onions, beef stock, bread and cheese. Some variations call for chunks of beef, but in the classic rendition, the onions are the star. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world.