Buckwheat & Banana Pancakes. Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum), or common buckwheat, is a plant cultivated for its grain-like seeds and as a cover crop. The name "buckwheat" is used for several other species, such as Fagopyrum tataricum, a domesticated food plant raised in Asia. Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat, as it is not a grass.
Buckwheat not only serves as a wonderful substitute to grain products, but also provides a rich, slightly nutty flavor that makes it a tasty addition to a variety of recipes. People make flour from the outer shell of the seeds. This flour can be used either as food (usually in bread, pancakes, and noodles) or as medicine. You can cook Buckwheat & Banana Pancakes using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Buckwheat & Banana Pancakes
- It’s 190 g of buckwheat flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- Prepare 250 ml of coconut almond milk (Alpro).
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It’s 2 of bananas, peeled and mashed.
- It’s 2 tsp of coconut oil.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen berries.
- You need of Maple syrup (to taste).
Buckwheat is a pseudocereal, which is a type of grain that doesn't grow on grasses but is used similarly to other cereals. It is gluten-free, a good source of fiber, and rich in minerals and. Buckwheat groats, the seeds of a flowering plant, frequently appear in recipes for a raw food diet, and in products such as buckwheat flour, soba noodles, and kasha, or roasted groats. Buckwheat comes from the Fagopyrum esculentum plant, which is related to rhubarb and sorrel.
Buckwheat & Banana Pancakes instructions
- In a large bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon..
- In a separate bowl briefly whisk together the eggs and coconut almond milk..
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly add in the liquid, whisking constantly as you do so. Mix until well combined and the batter is smooth..
- Fold in the mashed banana..
- Heat a frying pan or skillet and grease the pan with the oil. Pour in a little of the pancake batter into the frying pan to thinly coat the base of the frying pan..
- Fry the pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side..
- Continue this process until all the pancake batter has been used..
- Serve with mixed berries (defrost from frozen & put it in a blender) and maple syrup (to taste).
In Asia, buckwheat comes from the related Fagopyrum tataricum plant. Soaking the groats before using them develops a lovely texture and a delicious, soft nutty taste. After blending you end up with a smooth batter. Buckwheat flour can be a much healthier option when cooking. Learn about using buckwheat in all your recipes.