Chicken Florentine/Bleu Roll. Today letscookolet will be making a signature Chicken Florentine recipe. Stuffed chicken with flavored spinach and roll up, topped with lemon dill sauce. Notes: You can substitute chicken with leftover turkey or chicken rotisserie, lets face it, nobody ever eats those leftover turkey and rotisserie!
And for those on protein diet, substitute the crepe with omelet! Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis. Chicken Florentine casserole, which can also be adapted with either fish or shrimp, lies on a bed of spinach leaves and mushrooms, has a creamy white sauce mixed with garlic, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasonings, and is topped with baked mozzarella. You can cook Chicken Florentine/Bleu Roll using 21 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Florentine/Bleu Roll
- You need 9 of chicken breast.
- It’s 12 slices of ham.
- Prepare 12 slices of swiss cheese.
- It’s 8 slices of bacon.
- Prepare 1 lb of mushrooms.
- You need 2 Tbs of butter.
- It’s 1 of onion (diced).
- Prepare 4 cups of spinach (fresh/packed in measuring cup).
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 2 cups of flour.
- You need 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs.
- You need 4 of large eggs.
- It’s of Cheddar Cheese Sauce.
- Prepare 2 Tbs of butter.
- You need 2 Tbs of flour.
- It’s 1 1/4 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white cheddar cheese.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- You need 3 Tbs of dijon mustard.
If you don't like fish, this is a good substitute." Chicken Florentine. You flatten chicken, top with ham and cheese then roll it up. A dunk into an egg wash and then a few breadcrumbs and you have dinner after a few minutes of baking in the oven. The presentation is fun and the taste is great.
Chicken Florentine/Bleu Roll step by step
- Slice mushrooms and fry in butter at medium high heat until browned slightly. Try not to stir often so they brown faster and not just turn watery. Set aside on plate when done..
- Fry bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and chop into peices. Remove all but 2 tbs of the bacon grease. This is needed for next step..
- Add the onion to the frying pan with the remaining bacon grease left in the pan. Saute onions over medium heat until tender..
- Add the mushrooms, bacon peices, and fresh spinach to the onions and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside..
- Pound the chicken breasts flat with the smooth side if meat mallet. Lay out plastic wrap on counter and lay flattened breast on wrap so it forms a rectangular shape with the breasts edges overlapping so it looks like picture below. Season with the salt and pepper..
- Layer the chicken with the ham then the swiss cheese on the chicken..
- Spread the mixture from the frying pan thinly over the swiss cheese..
- Roll the chicken up jelly roll style. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours..
- Set up a dredging station with flour, then eggs, and thirdly the bread crumbs. I used cookie sheets. Then using wooden skewers, insert several where the overlap is so the chicken doesn't separate while cooking..
- Bake on a wire rack at 375° until internal temperature reaches 165°. Cooking time is approximately 70 to 80 minutes..
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown — about 2 minutes. Add the milk and dijon mustard, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat..
- Slice chicken roll and top with cheddar cheese sauce..
Give these Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll Ups a try and let me know what you think. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. A Florentine biscuit (or simply, a Florentine) is a sweet pastry of nuts and fruit. Florentines are made of nuts (typically hazelnuts and almonds) and candied cherries mixed with sugar melted together with butter and honey, cooked in an oven. These chicken cordon bleu roll-ups are an easy weeknight dinner – in the time it takes to preheat the oven you can have them assembled and ready to go!