Chawanmushi (Savoury Custard Soup).
You can cook Chawanmushi (Savoury Custard Soup) using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chawanmushi (Savoury Custard Soup)
- It’s 4 of Eggs.
- It’s of *Note: If the volume of the 4 eggs is 200ml, you need 500ml of Soup. (200ml x 2.5 = 500ml).
- It’s 500 ml of Dashi Stock.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Mirin.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare of <Other Ingredients Suggestion>.
- It’s of Chicken (*marinated with small amount of Soy Sauce for a few minutes).
- It’s of Small Prawns, Small Scallops, Fish, Tofu, Fish Balls, Udon,.
- You need of Spinach, Shiitake (*sliced), Enoki, Carrot (*boiled),.
- Prepare of Italian Parsley (or 'Shungiku', 'Mitsuba').
Chawanmushi (Savoury Custard Soup) step by step
- Make Clear Soup. Heat Dashi Stock and season with Mirin, Salt and Soy Sauce in a saucepan, and let it cool down so that it can be mixed with Eggs..
- Whisk Eggs in a mixing bowl and add warm Soup gradually and mix well. We are often taught to pour the egg mixture through a fine strainer to make it smooth, but I don’t do that. Just remove bubbles from the mixture..
- Prepare other ingredients. My method doesn’t pre-cook Chicken or Seafood, so you should use small ones or cut them into small pieces..
- Spinach needs preparation. Wash Spinach well and cook in boiling water until tender. Dip in cold water to stop cooking further, drain well and squeeze to remove excess water. Cut about 4cm..
- Place the ingredients in small bowls, cups, ramekins or whatever you use..
- Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients carefully. Place a young Italian parsley leaf or 'Shungiku' on top. In Japan, most commonly 'Mitsuba' leaf is placed on top, but Italian parsley tastes very similar. And it is optional..
- Cook them in hot steamer or microwave oven. OR you may prefer cooking them in the oven in the same way to cook Creme Brûlée..
- Serve 'Chawanmushi' with small spoons..