Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok).
You can have Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok) using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok)
- Prepare 4 of large chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in.
- You need to taste of Sea salt,.
- Prepare to taste of Cracked black pepper,.
- You need 1 teaspoon of canola oil.
- Prepare 2 of two-inch pieces fresh ginger, each about thumb-sized, peeled and julienned.
- You need 4 of fat cloves garlic, peeled and chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 of large onion, rough chopped.
- Prepare 2 quarts of water.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of fish sauce.
- Prepare 1 of large chayote, peeled, cut in half lengthwise then cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Knorr chicken bouillon.
- Prepare 5-6 ounce of bag ready to use baby spinach.
- You need 1 of lime, cut into 4 wedges, for serving.
Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok) step by step
- Liberally season thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, browning on both sides. Remove chicken to a plate and drain away all but 1 tablespoon of the chicken fat..
- Add the ginger to the pot and sauté for 1 minute then add a splash of water, stirring to loosen up the browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan..
- Continue stirring for one minute then add the onions and garlic, sautéing until the vegetables are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes longer..
- Return the chicken to the pot along with any juices they released..
- Pour in 2 quarts of water, add the fish sauce and bouillon, stirring well to incorporate then cover and bring to a boil..
- As soon as the soup starts to boil, turn down the heat to the lowest setting to just barely produce a simmer and set a timer for 35 minutes..
- Once the timer goes off, remove the chicken to a clean platter; set aside..
- Carefully strain the soup, discarding the now spent veggies..
- Rinse out the dutch oven or soup pot and return it to the heat on medium low, add back the now strained and clear broth..
- Remove and discard the skins from the chicken. Using two forks, shred the chicken, pulling it away from the bones; discard the bones and return the shredded chicken to the simmering broth..
- Taste the broth and add more salt if needed..
- Add the chayote and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetable is fork tender but still firm..
- Turn off the heat. Add the spinach, pushing it down so it's submerged..
- Place the lid on the pot and let the spinach wilt for two minutes.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lime..