Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning). Great recipe for Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning). Missing this chicken soup so much and decided to have a go for the first time ! It's really tasty chicken soup with turmeric spice that makes it yellow.
It's traditionally served with vermicelli noodles (or Bihun/Bee Hoon), shredded chicken, and eggs. In addition, the soup is topped with bean sprouts, cabbage, fried shallots, cilantro, Chinese celery, and krupuk or emping. Did you remember about Indonesian yellow spice paste (bumbu dasar kuning) post? You can have Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning) using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning)
- Prepare 1 pack of chicken thigh fillets.
- Prepare of Oil to fry.
- It’s of Lemongrass.
- You need of Galangal.
- It’s of Ginger.
- You need leaves of Lime.
- You need of Vermicelli noodles.
- You need of Eggs.
- Prepare of Spring onions.
- You need of Bean sprouts (optional).
- You need of Limes (optional).
- You need of Paste spices.
- It’s 3 of big shallots or 6 small shallots.
- Prepare 6 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s of Candlenuts (optional).
- You need Drops of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 of lime leaves.
- It’s of Chili paste (sambal) optional.
- It’s 2 of small shallots or 1/2 big shallot.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves.
- You need 4 of chillies.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of oil.
This recipe can use that short cut. However, my bumbu dasar kuning stock is done, so I have to make from scratch. Soto Ayam Lamongan Lamongan-Style Chicken Soup modified from mbak Lia's recipe. Home > Spice Mixes (Bumbu) > Soto (Soup) > Soto Ayam (Chicken Soup) Soto Ayam (Chicken Soup) Soto Ayam Chicken is an Indonesian version of chicken soup.
Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning) step by step
- Start blending the ingredients for paste spices (shallots, garlic cloves, turmeric powder, candlenuts, lime leaves and some oil). Use blender or food processor whichever easier. Pre heat a bit of oil and sauté the paste in a pan for about 15 minutes..
- In the meantime, bring to boil 1.5-2 litre of water in a big pot and throw in lemongrass, cut galangal, cut ginger, some lime leaves. When yellow paste is done, mix it in the pot to make the soup and put thigh fillets in. Skin on thighs actually tastes better but it’s your preference. Stir and add some salt, pepper and white sugar to your likeness..
- Let the chicken cooked under medium heat, take out when they’re done. It should turn yellowish like this ! Now, keep the soup boiled in a small heat for another 1/2 hour or more. The longer, the better!.
- Now, my not so much favourite step is to fry them. Pre heat oil in a pan and start frying just until it turns golden brown, so it takes less than 2 minutes. I used oil splatter cover to reduce the splash and make sure you lower the heat A LOT once oil is heated..
- Once it’s done, you can start shredding the chicken and also boil some eggs, vermicelli noodles, wash bean sprouts and cut some spring onions for toppings. Bean sprouts can be replaced by sliced cabbage or sliced tomatoes 🙂 Chilli paste needs to be sautéed in a small pan, it’s optional if you don’t want the soup spicy..
- Put your noodles, shredded chicken and all toppings in your bowl, pour yellow soup to finish. Selamat makan (Bon appetite) !.
We have it in multiple brands such as Bamboe, Indofood, Munik, and Kokita. It is served with a boiled egg, fried shallots, celery leaves and herbs, and is hearty enough for a meal. Soto Ayam is a chicken noodle soup popular in Malaysia and Indonesia. There are many adaptations and recipes of Soto Ayam in the region but I love this recipe the best. In Indonesia, this dish is called Soto Resah.