Carrot cake. Different from traditional carrot cakes, this cake is extremely moist and flavorful and is topped with a buttermilk glaze while still warm. Try it and I think you will agree that it is the best!! My fiance LOVES carrot cake, and yesterday was his birthday so I decided to look for a carrot cake recipe.
Says that it rivals his favorite carrot cake recipe. In a mixing bowl, mix sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. You can cook Carrot cake using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carrot cake
- Prepare 175 g of plain flour.
- You need 2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of grated nutmeg.
- It’s 200 g of soft brown or muscovado sugar.
- Prepare 150 ml of vegetable oil.
- It’s 3 of eggs.
- Prepare 200 g of grated carrots.
- Prepare 70 g of raisins or sultanas.
- You need of For the filling:.
- You need 4 of generous tablespoons of apricot jam, warmed up if very thick.
- Prepare of For the ganache:.
- Prepare 60 g of white cooking chocolate (or any plain white).
- Prepare 30 g (2 tbsp) of double cream.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, oil, carrots and vanilla; beat until combined. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. I like using all-purpose flour, but you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat or white whole wheat flour.
Carrot cake step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Butter and line with parchment a 20cm round tin. Grate the carrots – to get 200g you need to grate about 3 medium sized ones. Mix the flour with baking powder and the spices and put aside. Mix the sugar with the oil in a bowl of a standing mixer (or use a hand mixer), then beat in the eggs. Add the grated carrots, the raisins, sieve in the flour and spice mix and fold it all in with a spatula. Pour into the tin and bake for about 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin..
- When completely cold, slice it across in two layers with a large bread knife. Spread apricot jam over the bottom half in a generous layer. Cover with the top half..
- Prepare the ganache: break up the chocolate into pieces as small as possible. Put the cream in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Immediately add the chocolate and leave to stand (in the microwave) for a minute or two. Whisk together into smooth ganache..
- Using a spoon, drizzle over the top of the cake, letting the ganache dribble over the sides as well. Serve with cream! clotted cream! custard! whipped cream! warm vanilla sauce! caramel sauce! And it’s lovely on its own, too..
For a gluten-free carrot cake, swap the flour for your favorite gluten-free flour blend. Baking soda helps the cake to rise. Salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract make the cake taste amazing. Oil keeps the cake nice and moist — any neutral flavored oil will work. Add the carrots and nuts, and mix until just blended.