Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup). Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) is another popular dish in Indonesia. It is like chicken soup but the broth is yellow because of turmeric. It is served with glass noodles, fried or boiled potatoes, chicken, fried onions, emping (padi oats crackers), slices of hard boiled egg, blanched bean sprouts, parsley, and sometimes diced tomato. 'Soto' is a traditional Indonesian soup.
It has yellow color broth and is composed of chicken meat, mung bean vermicelli, hard boiled eggs, and topped with koya (a powder of mixed prawn crackers and fried garlic). #indonesianfood Soto ayam is an Indonesian chicken soup. It's one of classic authentic Indonesian soup. We can eat it along with noodle or rice. You can have Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup)
- Prepare 500 ml of vegetable oil to fry the chicken.
- You need 1 of whole chicken, divided into 4.
- You need 2 of lt water.
- It’s 8 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 4 stalks of lemongrass, take the white part only (which is on the bottom), pounded.
- You need 4 of green onions, chopped.
- You need 1,5 tsp of salt or to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of white pepper powder or to taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare of Ground spices: (blend in a food processor).
- Prepare 7 cloves of garlic.
- You need 8 cloves of shallots.
- You need 3 pcs of candle nuts.
- You need 1 tsp of nutmegs powder.
- You need 3 cm of turmeric.
- Prepare 2 cm of ginger.
- You need of Chili sauce: Boil 5 bird eye chili peppers + 2 red chili peppers + 5 cloves garlic until soft. Remove from the heat. Grind all the ingredients using a mortar and pestle. Add 1/4 tsp salt.
- Prepare of Koya topping: Grind 5 cloves fried garlic + 8 fried prawn crackers using a mortal and pestle.
- You need of For the complement:.
- You need 4 of hard boiled eggs, peeled, cut.
- It’s 50 gr of mung bean vermicelli, soaked in boiled water for 3 minutes, removed from the heat, drained.
- You need of some lime wedges.
I prefer using both with a little rice and a little noodle. Soto Ayam is a bright, yellow chicken noodle soup from Indonesia. A great way to to use up leftover ingredients such as veggies, herbs, eggs and meat. Customize to your taste with soy sauce, chili sauce, citrus and vinegars.
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) instructions
- Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in the wok over medium-heat. Sauté the ground spices, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass until fragrant. Remove from the heat..
- Boil chicken and ground spices in a big pot until the chicken is cooked.Take out the chicken from the pot. Set the chicken aside..
- Add chopped green onions into the soup..
- In a pan, fry the chicken for a while in vegetable oil. Remove from the heat. Cut the chicken into small pieces..
- Place some white rice, some mung bean vermicelli, chicken meat, and some hard boiled eggs in a bowl. Pour the hot chicken broth into the bowl. Add some lime juice into the soup and koya topping on top. Yum! 😋.
The temperatures have dipped so I am deep into my annual tradition of exploring more soups. Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore. However, you have to take a paradigm shift to appreciate it. Unlike a creamy soup, it's a clear soup with loads of ingredients and condiments. To make the chicken stock, heat the vegetable oil in large stock pot over high heat.