Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup). Soto ayam, an Indonesian version of chicken soup, is a clear herbal broth brightened by fresh turmeric and herbs, with skinny rice noodles buried in the bowl. It is served with a boiled egg, fried. Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore.
To make the chicken stock, heat the vegetable oil in large stock pot over high heat. Soto Ayam is a classic chicken soup from Indonesia but also popular in Singapore and Malaysia. It's traditionally served with vermicelli noodles (or Bihun/Bee Hoon), shredded chicken, and eggs. You can have Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) using 27 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
- You need 2 lbs of chicken thigh (boneless).
- Prepare 2 L (8 cups) of water.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 5 of kaffir lime leaves.
- It’s 2 of lemon grass (the white part only), bruised.
- You need 1 inch of dried galangal.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks, chopped.
- You need 3 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s of Grind the following into spice paste :.
- Prepare 7 of shallots.
- Prepare 5 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 teaspoon of ginger powder.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground cummin.
- Prepare 5 of candlenut.
- You need of Accompaniments and Garnishes :.
- You need Glass of noodle, soaked in hot boiling water until soft then drained.
- It’s of Shredded cabbage.
- You need of Cooked rice.
- You need of Homemade potato chips (optional).
- Prepare of Scallion stalk/chives, finely chopped.
- You need of Shrimp crackers, process in a food processor until they get powdery (optional).
- You need of Fried shallots (optional).
- It’s 6 of hard boiled eggs.
In addition, the soup is topped with bean sprouts, cabbage, fried shallots, cilantro, Chinese celery, and krupuk or emping. Soto ayam is chicken noodle soup – Indonesian style. Soto Ayam is the Indonesian version of chicken soup. This soup is flavored with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and a rich paste of herbs and spices.
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) step by step
- In a frying pan, heat 3 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the spice paste, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and galangal until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning..
- Turn the heat off. Transfer everything from the frying pan to a slow cooker. Add chicken, water, chopped celery, salt, sugar and white pepper. Set on low. Cook for 6 hours. Taste and adjust salt/pepper as needed..
- Take the chicken out and let them cool. Shred the meat..
- How to serve : Prepare bowls, add into each bowl some glass noodle, some shredded cabbage, some shredded chicken, 1 hard boil egg, garnish with some chopped scallion, fried shallots, potato chips and ground shrimp crackers. Pour in the soup. To make a more filling meal, it is common in Indonesia to serve Soto Ayam with a bowl of warm white rice. Sometimes I also add some fresh sliced tomatoes..
- I made sweet potato chips instead of potato chips. I sliced the sweet potatoes thinly using a 1 mm slicing blade in a food processor then soaked them in salt water for an hour then deep fried them. Do the same thing if you use potatoes..
We then top our soto ayam with crunchy, fresh bean sprouts and boiled egg. In individual small bowls, mound shredded chicken, bean thread noodles, cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, egg wedges, potato chips, fried shallots, lime wedges, and chili sambal. Pour hot broth into a tureen or pitcher. There are many types of soto from many parts of Indonesia. For instance, there are Soto Padang, Soto Bandung, Soto Jakarta, Soto Banjar.