Vegan Carrot Cake (& Frosting). Moist, rich vegan carrot cake with a wholesome flavor and gorgeous color. Topped with lemon buttercream frosting and crushed walnuts. It gives you the feeling that you're eating something pretty darn healthy.
This recipe is unique not only because it's a plant-based carrot cake, but also because it's free of vegan butter, refined sugar and vegan cream cheese. Pour the hot water into a mixing bowl, and sprinkle with the flax meal. Stir for a minute until the flax begins to absorb the water, and the mixture slightly thickens. You can have Vegan Carrot Cake (& Frosting) using 22 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegan Carrot Cake (& Frosting)
- Prepare of Cake:.
- You need 2 1/4 cups of flour (Half spelt, half all-purpose flour).
- You need 3 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Prepare 3 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of applesauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of almond milk.
- You need 2 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 1 cup of cane sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of (melted) coconut or canola oil.
- Prepare 2 cups of grated carrots, medium-packed.
- You need of Frosting:.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw macadamia nuts (soaked, drained, and rinsed).
- It’s 1/2 cup of raw cashews (soaked, drained, and rinsed).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of almond milk.
- You need 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- It’s 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla until the sugar has dissolved, then add the currants, carrots, and almonds. Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Tips Grate your carrots finely. Finely grated carrots meld seamlessly into the cake, while larger pieces create a chunkier, less uniform texture. For tender, cohesive cake slices, grate the carrots on the small holes of a box grater or on the smallest setting of the grating attachment on your food processor. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) This super easy vegan carrot cake is made with cinnamon applesauce to keep it nice and moist, which means that you don't need an egg-replacer or an egg substitute at all.
Vegan Carrot Cake (& Frosting) step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan..
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt..
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar and oil..
- Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients..
- Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined..
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting..
- Make the frosting: combine all frosting ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until very smooth for 1 to 2 minutes or more, scraping down the sides occasionally. You can add an extra tablespoon of milk if necessary to get your blade moving..
- Chill frosting for at least 30 minutes before spreading on the cake..
- Store frosted cake in the fridge..
Vegan carrot cake ingredients Making a traditional carrot cake egg-free and dairy-free is relatively straightforward. Unlike with eggless vegan white cake, where replacing the structure from eggs is important, carrot cakes are more forgiving. Simply removing the eggs and adding some extra leavening does the trick. Prepare your cake pans by rubbing them with oil and then dusting a little flour on the oil. You can also line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper.